• D- 215, Devsha Business Park, Sector-63, G.B. Nagar, Noida, UP, 201301
  • 070658 83416

Central FSSAI License Registration Process

Overview of Central FSSAI License

A Central FSSAI license is a license granted to food enterprises operating at either the national or central level by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). Businesses that produce, prepare, package, store, distribute, or import food items must have this license. In order to continue the operation of your food business in India, it is also important to renew the central FSSAI license every five years.

Central FSSAI license is required in two cases, first, if the operations of your business take place all over India or if the annual turnover of your company exceeds 20 crores. Therefore, it becomes crucial to determine the eligibility, process, and documents required for availing this license.

Understanding Central FSSAI License

The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India or FSSAI is the regulatory body that is responsible for ensuring food quality and safety food. To prevent adulteration in food products, all Food Business Operators also known as FBOs are required to get a 14-digit FSSAl registration/license number according to their business activity and turnover. This registration number shall be displayed on food packaging. All of the major FBOs in India receive Central Licenses from the FSSAl. It is the primary prerequisite for food enterprises that deal with the production, distribution, transportation, or retailing of food items.

In simple terms, an essential document that guarantees the safety and ensures the quality of the food product sold or distributed by a company is the Central FSSAI License. In this way, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is able to regulate the food market and protect the safety and hygiene of the public.

Objectives of Central FSSAI License

The following are the objectives or features of the FSSAI Central License:

  • All food enterprises that operate at a central level, such as imports, exports, and interstate trading, must have an FSSAI central license.
  • The FSSAI central license is renewable after its first five-year term expires.
  • A thorough application procedure is necessary for the FSSAI central license, and it involves presenting pertinent documentation such as laboratory test reports, food safety management plans, and evidence of financial stability.
  • The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), a government agency in charge of regulating and guaranteeing the security of food items in India, issues the FSSAI central license.
  • Furthermore, the holder of this license, must mention the license number on all the food items sold or distributed by him.
  • The FSSAI central license holder is required to follow the rules and regulations laid down by the FSSAI, non-compliance of the same might result in heavy penalties.
  • The holder of an FSSAI central license is qualified to take part in a number of international trade shows, exhibits, and export promotion programs.

Who Needs FSSAI Central License?

The FSSAI Central license is required by food businesses operating at a national level, including:

  • Club
  • Restaurant
  • Dhaba
  • Food Processor
  • Marketer
  • Distributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Canteen
  • Organisation providing storage facility
  • Supplier
  • Transporter
  • Hawkers
  • Retailers
  • Cloud kitchen
  • FBOs in Indian Railways or Airports
  • Food vending machines
  • E-commerce food business selling prepared food
  • Hospitals
  • Milk chilling units
  • Re-packagers

What are the Eligibility Criteria for taking FSSAI Central License?

The following are the eligibility criteria for Food business operators that must get an FSSAI Central license:

  • The large FBO has a yearly revenue of around 20 crores. The annual turnover threshold for a transporter to apply for a government license is 30 crores.
  • The FBO is run by 100% Export Oriented Units and companies that import and export food products, including commercially used food additives and ingredients.
  • Dairy facilities that handle or process over 50,000 liters of liquid milk per day or 2,500 MT of milk solids annually and are fitted with milk cooling machines.
  • Every online retailer, like Flipkart or Amazon, must have a central license. It does not imply that retailers using these systems must likewise hold a central license.
  • Food business owners who operate in many states are required to get the relevant FSSAI registration or license in each state as well as a central license at their headquarters.
  • Refineries, oil expeller units with installed capacities of more than 2 MT per day, and facilities manufacturing vegetable oil using solvent extraction are examples of processing and production units for vegetable oil.
  • All food processing facilities, including re-labelers and re-packers, with an installed capacity of more than 2 MT/day, excluding grain, cereal, and pulse milling units, with the exception of dairy, vegetable oil, meat processing, and slaughterhouses.
  • Hotel with a Ministry of Tourism rating of five stars or above (HRACC).
  • Food catering services provided by Central government agencies in places and units such as railways, airports, seaports, and defense, among others.
  • Any slaughterhouse that has the capacity to slaughter more than fifty large animals, 150 small animals, including goats and sheep, or 1000 poultry birds every day.
  • Meat processing facilities capable of handling or processing 150 MT of meat annually, or more than 500 kg of meat per day.
  • Everyone running a food business that produces food items with substances, ingredients, technologies, processes, or a combination of these that have not been proven safe by these regulations, have not been proven safe in the past, or contain ingredients that are being introduced into the nation for the first time.

What are the documents required for Central FSSAI License?

Documents that must be included with a new license application to the Central Licensing Authority are mentioned below:

  • Form-B properly filled out and signed by the designated signatory or the proprietor/partner.
  • The processing unit's blueprint or layout plan, which is required for manufacturing and processing units, should display the unit's measurements in meters or square meters as well as the area allocated for operations.
  • Entire address and phone number of Directors, Partners, Owners, and Executive Members of Society/Trust.
  • Name, list, installed capacity, and horse power of each piece of machinery and equipment.
  • A list of food categories for which manufacturing is sought.
  • Authority letter with the name and address of the responsible party designated by the manufacturer and another responsible party specifying the authority granted to them to support the officers during inspections, sample collecting, packing, and shipment.
  • A reputable public health laboratory's analysis report (chemical and bacterial) on water to be used as a food component is required to verify the water's portability.
  • Evidence of ownership of the property (Rent agreement, electricity bill, sale document, etc.).
  • Ownership Self-Declaration/Partnership Agreement.
  • NOC and a copy of the manufacturer's license.
  • Plan or certificate for the Food Safety Management System (if any).
  • The milk source or procurement plan, which includes the location of milk collecting centers and other relevant information, is necessary for milk and milk product processing units.
  • Supply of raw materials for factories that prepare meat.
  • NOCs from a local government or municipality.
  • 100% EOU with a Ministry of Commerce certificate.
  • Supporting the Turnover with documented evidence.
  • Document issued by FSSAI with an NOC.
  • Document published by DGFT in IE CODE.
  • Form IX is a company's nomination of individuals submitted with the board resolution.

Process of obtaining the FSSAI Central License

The qualifying entities with the above-stated turnover for state licensing applications are as follows:

  • Fill Form B: In order to meet the eligibility requirements, you must get a Central FSSAI license. After that, you must complete Application Form B in accordance with the FSSAl rules. Every piece of data that is submitted needs to be verified as accurate, relevant, and genuine.
  • Use Generic Product Names: Keep in mind that generic terms, not brand names, should be used to refer to the items.
  • Products must be Certified: In accordance with the FSSAl Act of 2006, all items included in the license must be certified.
  • Decide the Time Period of License: Finally, you will be asked how long you would want to apply for a central license. You must choose the suitable time frame in which you want to obtain the license. (from one to five years).
  • Pay the required Fee: After completing the form, you must pay the required costs using an online portal or by bringing the demand draft to the FSSAl state office.
  • Grant of License: The license will be mailed to you in a span of 25 to 30 days.

Why PSR Compliance?

A team of attorneys and FSSAI specialists at PSR Compliance will help you register for a Central FSSAI license. You may receive comprehensive assistance from our team of food licensing experts in completing the FSSAI licensing registration procedure. Each state has a group of attorneys working for them who are committed to ensuring that the FSSAI license complies with all state regulations. The professionals at PSR Compliance will assist you with every step of the registration procedure, reducing your stress level. You can directly us in case of any queries or doubts related to the FSSAI Central License.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1- What is the validity of the FSSAI Central License?

The FSSAI Central License is issued for the period as decided by the applicant and on the basis of fees submitted by him. It can be issued for a period starting from one year till five years.

Q2- Whether 100% export units must mandatorily apply for FSSAI Central License?

Yes, a FSSAI Central license is mandatory for exports and imports.

Q3- What are the types of an FSSAI License?

There are three types of FSSAI License i.e. Basic FSSAI License, State FSSAI License, and Central FSSAI License.

Q4- Is it possible to file two applications for obtaining the food license with the same IEC code?

No, an importer will only be granted a single license for one IEC code. If an importer wishes to submit a different application using the same IEC, he must either give up the license that uses this specific IEC or remove the previous application, that appears on the FoSCoS web site.

Q5- What is the difference between state and central FSSAI license?

Central licenses are granted by the central authorities, allowing them to operate across India, while state licenses are issued by state authorities and are appropriate for enterprises operating inside a particular state. When it comes to food safety, both licenses are important.